Scotland and Wales appear to be on the brink of major conflict over the rights of sheep and cattle in Liverpool.
… or maybe not.
Learning to code…
Can I code with CSS here?
Gonna have to find out!
Could be awkward…
Okay so I haven’t been doing much with this site since I set it up. It was more or less a learning exercise about digital marketing. I also don’t really expect anybody to read this blog but here it is just in case anyone is interested.
In April 2017 I started working as a telephone market research interviewer with a company based near London Bridge called Critical Research. I moved to Kantar UK in August for better pay, conditions and because it is only a stones’ throw away from where I live.
Since joining Kantar I have already been promoted to Senior Telephone Interviewer and start training this week. In my spare time I have been studying Java, market research and mostly Excel to an advanced level; Spanish too when this all gets a bit much. I now plan to become an Excel wizard and will offer my services to the Kantar telephone research department to gain practical experience. I’m pretty sure they could use my help.
Market research is quite an interesting side of marketing and this should keep me busy for some time while I gain experience, expand my skill base through education and application and try to move up further with this company.
I think there could be opportunities for the development of techniques for research interviewing via portals such as Skype, Google Hangouts and similar. This will require new databases and methods of combining video interviews with graphics and video. Therefore a whole new ‘CATI’ system will be required I plan to have acquired the necessary skills before this is implemented.
In my spare time I’m a bit of a watch geek. Quite a few people who have this interest make videos about their watches so I decided to do the same. I just wondered if anybody would be interested, wanted to build my view stats on YouTube and also had a theory. This was that if someone enjoyed my video about this newly released Seiko Presage that I bought then they might check out the other videos on my channel. The results were quite surprising.
In under six months I have had over 3000 views from over 75 different countries. From the YouTube analytics I can see that 45% of these views were from men between the ages of 25 and 34. And yes some of the viewers it seems did decide to look at my other videos, but not many. This is okay though as the other stuff is just some university work that I made with friends.
Video attracts attention and it sells. It’s a fact. If you want increased traffic for your business and the opportunity to present yourself to the world then seriously consider making a film. It does not have to be an expensive or time-consuming process.
Here are some facts and figures that should demonstrate the importance of digital marketing in business today. There are some links at the end of this piece if you would like to learn more.
- 4x as many customers would prefer to watch a video about a product or service than read text.
- There are 2.3 billion active social media users and 91% of brands use 2 or more social channels.
- According to Forbes 82% of customers conduct online searches.
- 81% of shoppers do an online search before purchasing.
- By 2019 video will account for 80% of global Internet traffic.
- 78% of local mobile searches result in offline purchases.
- 75% of users do not scroll past the first page of search results.
- 72% of marketers say that relevant content creation was the most advanced SEO tactic.
- 72% of consumers who did a local search visited a store within 5 miles.
- Users who are re-targeted are 70% more likely to be converted to becoming customers.
- 70% of marketers state that personalized marketing is a key goal.
- 57% of B2B marketers stated that SEO generates more leads than any other marketing initiative.
- 51% of smartphone users discovered a new product or company when searching on their smartphone.
- Local searches lead 50% of mobile visitors to a store within one day.
- The top 3 search results on Google get 50% more clicks.
- Companies that posted 16+ blogs per month got 4x the amount of traffic than those who only posted 0-4 blogs.
- Deloittes found that when social media is part of a buyer’s research they convert at a 129% higher rate and are 4x as likely to spend significantly more than if social media is not a component.
- Visual content is 40x more likely to be shared on social media.
- 47% of buyers viewed 3-5 pieces of content before engaging with a sales rep.
- Google have announced that more searches take place on mobile in 10 countries, including the U.S.A. and Japan.
- In 2017 digital marketing expenditure has risen to $77.37 billion outstripping television advertising expenditure which is $72.01 billion.
First impressions count. If your website looks like it was made out of Lego by an eight year-old you might get a few laughs but you probably will not attract much business. If your presentation is up to the standards of companies like Mercedes Benz or Rolex then you are going to impress people. It is easier than you might think to achieve this without spending a fortune. Just use a little Ecraftiness.
I have no idea who built this sculpture but I think it’s great. There’s no way whoever designed and built it was alone.